The Blue Bison is located in the historic Holman building that was constructed in 1901. The Holman building is the last of the Richardsonian Romanesque influenced buildings built in Hot Springs, SD. The round arched windows are indicative of this style that was popular from 1890 to early 1900’s. Another important quality of the building is the well-preserved store front and cast iron columns.The front of the building is of sandstone construction, and the 22 inch thick walls are locally mined flagstone.
The Donnell family has owned the Holman building since 1967, and it was an arts and crafts store until 2004. After a 2 year renovation the building was restored to an ice cream parlor and café.