Days of 76 Museum




The Days of ’76 began as a way to honor Deadwood’s first pioneers – the prospectors, miners, muleskinners and madams who poured into the Black Hills in 1876 to settle the gold-filled gulches of Dakota Territory. Since the first celebration in 1924, the Days of ‘76 has grown into a legendary annual event with a historic parade and an award-winning PRCA rodeo.

The Days of ’76 museum began informally, as a repository for the horse drawn wagons and stage coaches, carriages, clothing, memorabilia and archives generated by the Celebration.

The museum features 4 primary collections:

  • Wagons and Vehicles: Everything from horse-drawn carriages to 19th century vehicles.
  • Rodeo Collection: Featuring the history of the annual Days of 76 Rodeo and Celebration.
  • Clothing Collection: A huge collection of pioneer clothing.
  • Don Clowser Collection: A Deadwood’s residents collection of 19th-century pioneer, cowboy, and American Indian art.